I loved potatoes as il contorno,,, great way to sue potatoes
here is the recipe or ricetta:
- 2 small Yukon gold potatoes (3/4 pound)
- Fine sea salt or kosher salt
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and roughly chopped
- Finely grated zest of 2 lemons
- 4 cups roughly chopped cooked mixed meat and poultry, preferably from making Brodo
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Brodo, low-sodium chicken broth or water
- 3/4 cup fine bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
In a heavy pot, cover potatoes with salted cold water by 1 inch. Simmer, uncovered, until very tender, about 40 minutes.
Meanwhile, finely chop together parsley, lemon zest and garlic. Finely chop meat together with minced parsley mixture. Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add eggs and cheese; stir together well and season generously with pepper and a little salt.
Peel and mash potato; add to meat mixture and stir well to combine. Add enough broth so that mixture is moist and holds together.
Form mixture into 20 log-shaped croquettas, each about 2 inches long and 1 1/2 inches in diameter; roll in bread crumbs.
Combine olive and vegetable oils in a medium skillet (oil should come up skillet by 1/2 inch). Heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Fry croquettas in batches, turning every 2 to 3 minutes, until golden and crisp all over, 6 to 9 minutes total. Transfer to paper towels to drain and sprinkle with salt while hot. Serve as an appetizer warm or at room temperature with a squeeze of lemon or your favorite aioli, if you like.